Mat Plus teacher training
Mat Plus Teacher education seminars are taught at Precision Pilates in Fredericton, NB or at a Host Studio. A full range of Pilates exercises are taught for Mat, Magic Circle, Hand Weights, and Joe’s Wall exercises. There are two two-day education seminars that must be completed in order as well as a final examination day. These seminars will focus on the foundational principles of Contrology, Pilates’s system of mental and physical conditioning:
Topics Covered in Mat Plus Training
- The importance of purpose: Discover Joe’s original purpose for each exercise and how this helps you guide your clients through more cohesive lessons.
- Proper exercise and teaching techniques on the Mat as well as small accessories
- Working with a variety of clients and learning to assess their needs
- How to see, touch, and hear your clients bodies: Learn to read movements, investigate a movement for a client using touch, and know what to do with what you see in their bodies.
- Safety: How to keep you and your clients safe at all times.
- Anatomy necessary for understanding basic movement concepts and Pilates sessions.
- Using voice, touch, and images to direct your client to their body: Often neglected in other training programs, the use of hands on guidance as well as assistance is crucial and really defines what Joe Pilates wanted us to give to others.
- Programming for group classes and why the system works: Yes, you can follow the order, use the method, and teach amazing group classes on the mat!
- Progression: How, When, Why: This is one of the most difficult parts to understand in Pilates. (For more information on this read this blog post by Cara: http://www.pilatesglossy.com/lets-talk-about-progression/ )
- Drills for teachers to better their practice: Teachers are forever students, learn how to keep your own practice fresh as well as progressive.
- Giving clients what they need: How to decide what exercises to give in a lesson to enable your clients to heal, gain strength, and progress overall.
- Working with injuries, chronic conditions, and special populations. Classical Pilates is a gift of a method that allows us to work with the most challenging situations for both clients with very special needs due to injuries or elite athletes training for their next big event.
- Managing the classical work in a non-classical setting: This is something not covered in any other program. Although the ideal is classical apparatus, this is not always possible. You will learn how to adapt to best work with what you have access to.
- Many other topics and issues related to and about Traditional Pilates will be covered, including history, focus, spirit etc
Tuition and Enrolment
Mat Plus Pilates Education
Tuition: $2000 (includes seminars and apprentice hours, manual, final examination). A deposit of 50% is due upon acceptance to reserve space in the program.
20 Mandatory group Pilates equipment classes: rates vary by teacher. Classes can be paid for over the course of the apprenticeship.
Testing fees: $150 for the Final Evaluation.
A Deposit of 50% of tuition is due upon acceptance to reserve your place in the program. This deposit is non-refundable after the first seminar has begun. The balance of tuition must be paid at the beginning of the first seminar weekend. 50% of this balance is refundable if a student withdraws no later than 30 days after the beginning of the first seminar.
Each educational weekend seminar is followed by a period of apprenticeship.
The Mat Plus Pilates Education program has 150 apprenticeship hours made up of observation, individual training (including private lessons with approved instructors), and practice teaching. 50 of the apprenticeship hours must be completed between the two seminar weekends. Students will be required to log their apprenticeship hours and attend apprenticeship meetings. It is recommended that students spend an average of three hours per day, three days per week, on observation, practice teaching, and personal practice. As part of their personal practice, apprentices are required to complete 10 private lessons by the completion of the program with approved APC™ teachers. The entire program must be completed within 6 months.
Mat Plus Teacher Education
- 50 hr evaluation: Demonstrate a firm grasp of the material taught in the first seminar weekend and comfort teaching a fellow apprentice or studio employee.
- 150 hour evaluation: Demonstrate Mat Plus teaching program teach a beginning student in a private lesson setting, teach part of a group class, and write a test comprised of short essay questions.
Required Resources All programs
Pilates, Joseph, A Pilates Primer (2006)
Siler, Brooke. The Pilates Body Kit (DVD)
–––––. The Pilates Body (2000)
–––––. Women’s Health Big Book of Pilates (2013)